Uncategorized

Matthias is Glad to be Alive

This is a little boy who from the moment of his conception, had a 10% chance of living. This precious little boy received a prenatal diagnosis of Down syndrome. From the moment this diagnosis was uttered, his survival rate was 1 in 10. Yes, 1 in 10.  If this is shocking to you, you need to understand that 90% of women who are given a prenatal diagnosis of Down syndrome will abort their child.  More than any time in my life, I am pro-life. Every time I look into my child’s eyes, I remember why I am pro-life. Look at that face. Look at that smile. If you need a reason to be pro-life, I’m giving you a good one right now.

Matthias Samuel Loux, a child who has undergone 4 major surgery, a least 3 other medical procedures requiring intubation, 1 staph infection that nearly took his life, at least 6 other bacterial infections, and has not been able to even leave the hospital to be home with his family since his birth. Matthias is a fighter. He is a joyful, loving, happy fighter. He wants to live. He wants to love. And HE WILL LIVE. Do you see anything in that smile that indicates that he wishes he was not alive? I sure don’t.

Today I bless the Lord. I bless the Lord for the gift of LIFE. I bless the Lord that my son’s life was spared in the womb and that over and over HE has carried Mattie through the wilderness into a place of joy.

Blessed be Your name
When the sun’s shining down on me
When the world’s ‘all as it should be’
Blessed be Your name

Blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there’s pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name

-Matt Redman

In his short 7 months of life, Mattie has walked through more medically than most of us will walk through in a life time. If you happen to be a 30 year old and your life had mirrored Mattie’s life to this point, you would have had 120 major surgeries, 90 medical procedures requiring full sedation/intubation, 30 near-death staph infections, and 180 bacterial infections. You would have never experienced the joy of being home with family.

I know that’s a far fetched scenario, but I was thinking about this the other day when looking at my son’s glowing, smiley face, and I couldn’t help but make the comparison.

Mattie is my hero. He reminds me every day that the Lord is Good and that His Mercy endures for ever. He reminds me every day that the Joy of the Lord is my strength. He reminds me every day that I can walk through trials loving Jesus, with a smile on my heart. The smile on my son’s face tells me that he is glad to be alive. Imagine the joy that will flow out of this little boy when he is not in the midst of trial and suffering?

I am pro-life for many reasons, but today the reason that resonates the loudest is this. Matthias. I am pro-life because Matthias is glad to be alive.

23 thoughts on “Matthias is Glad to be Alive

  1. What a testimony of God’s protection! I have heard and know about how 90% of babies with DS are aborted but reading this today…it really hit home.thanks for allowing God to guide your family and for being an example oftruly caring for the orphans. many Blessings on your family.

  2. That was so moving! My sister is pregnant right now and Avery (the baby) has hydrocephalus. His head is filling with fluid and is measuring as a full term baby but yet he still has over a month and a half to go in the womb. When my sister first found out this devastating news, the doctors were very adamant about her having an abortion. So much so that she couldn’t find a doctor in the state of FL that was willing to deliver the baby. Their exact words were, “The procedure to drain the fluid is to messy.” Along with that they also found that his heart was missing parts and it was on the wrong side of his chest and flipped in the wrong position. She moved here to Kansas City where the Lord clearly led her. She now isn’t only surrounded by a community of prayer but also doctors who are going to do everything they can to save his life! The Lord has already healed little Avery’s heart! He is a fighter. And he is the reason why I am pro life. I say all of that to say, since the day I got the news about my nephew. I have been so encouraged by Mattie’s story. Every time I see his pictures and his progress I believe that Jesus wants Avery to live. Thank you Tracie for your testimony! It has truly blessed me!

  3. This is absolutely beautiful and your boy is so adorable, you are very blessed:) I am new to your blog and am so happy I found it. We are in the process of adopting a 3 year old boy with Ds from Russia here in a couple months and can’t wait! I am curious to learn more about IHOP, when you get a sec would you mind letting me know more about it?

  4. Life must be a continual choice…many are blessed to know your family does so 24/7. Pappa let this darling soon get to be at home with the family you fashioned for him.

  5. Love this post Sis! We love our priceless Mattie and will continue contending for his healing. His smile covers his entire face and lights up our day each time we see him! XOXOX Love Auntie Ne’ Ne’ and cousins

  6. OM GOSH! what a beautiful post! our children with DS are such a gift and have so much to offer and teach.. I have yet to meet a person that is not touched and inspired by an individual with DS they know.. My son with DS who is 6 is my precious little man..are there challenges? Yes, but all kids have differenent challenges and abilities.. he has made me a far better person than I was before he was born.. God KNEW exactly what I needed and it was my Joshua!! Mattie is too cute beyond words and God has a purpose for him! He is so precious!!
    Anne
    Mom to Joshua, DS, 6 years old

  7. That sweet smile must light up the entire room!! He looks so health and happy — on the road to a wonderful , fun life with his family soon we pray. God bless Mattie Loux !

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s